If You Give A "Nickels" A Blog... She'll Convince You To Wear Rainbow Loom Again and Listen to Firework by Katy Perry

As 2019 comes to a close (and definitely with the launch of Disney+... who wants to pay for my account because I feel left out), everyone seems to be reminiscing about their youth and childhood during the 2010s. I'm a huuuuuge sentimental baby, so thinking about the past and all the memories of this decade make me emotional.

Well, most of my memories make me emotional. I like to repress the times when I used to scream "WE'RE ALMOST AT SCHOOL" full volume every morning on the elementary school buses or when I did full-on k-pop choreographies on the middle school blacktop. A cold shiver just came down my back writing that sentence. Never again, Nickels, never again.

The books we read, Valentine's Day cards we handed out, rainbow loom bracelets we made, middle school drama we had—gosh, I could write a whole 90-page essay about my middle school dramas—and everything in between made up our 2010s. 

Image result for if you give a mouse a cookie
Courtesy of Felicia Bond
Hence, the title of the blog!

It's crazy to think that this period of our life is ending, but we don't have to leave them behind! I propose that we bring back some of the simple 'ol joys in life that we forgot about. I mean, they do say that history repeats itself soooo :)

I swear, this fits into my blog theme. The fact that they are no longer popular makes them underrated, right?

RIGHT??? *nervous sweating*

But no matter how dumb or dated they seem, I think that these iconic few parts of our 2010s childhoods should make a comeback in the next decade.

Silly Bandz

Image result for silly bandz
Via Press Enterprise

Funny story actually. Well, not really funny but you get the idea. ANYWAY. I was lurking through my basement a month ago when I found a shoebox just sitting there, you know, minding its own business and doing its thing. So I decided to open it and I find a gold mine of Silly Bandz. And my immediate thought is:

"Oh my gosh. I NEED to wear these to school tomorrow."

And I did. Was I ashamed? Absolutely not. Not with all that ice on my wrist.

Kids were so obsessed with these bracelets that they had to ban them from schools. But now that they're kinda irrelevant and haven't seen the light of day since 2012, schools probably don't care about them anymore. At least, high schools won't and that's really my target audience here. So what I'm trying to say is...

Please bring back Silly Bandz. Make them the new "it" accessory, like scrunchies. If everyone who reads this wears one Silly Band, there will be at least 3 of us in solidarity and together we can start The Silly Bandz Revolution. I'm being completely serious here. When I brought those bracelets to school, the way that people's eyes lit up from the nostalgia simply fueled my passion to take Silly Bandz back to the top.

Before we move on, there is one Silly Band in particular that I have been trying to figure out the shape of for at least 7 years now. I need your help. Flip the picture, turn it upside down, do whatever it takes for you to figure out what the shape is. Personally, I think that if you look at it in the way I've taken the picture, it looks like a director's chair.


My friends all said, "Why would they make a director's chair Silly Band?" and honestly I have no logical explanation for that. But what else could it be!?! Didn't they basically make Silly Bandz of everything?? These aforementioned friends suggested it could be a toilet, a giraffe, the state of New Jersey or Michigan, and a horse. I think those are even worse guesses than a director's chair. Let's solve this mystery together, we're gonna need the brainpower.

Image result for director's chair
Courtesy of Horne

I mean, come on. IT LOOKS LIKE A DIRECTOR'S CHAIR!

Pokémon Go

Image result for pokemon go
Courtesy of Niantic

I think at this point in my blog, I've established the fact that I am a huge nerd. I basically lived and breathed Pokémon as a child, watching the anime and collecting the cards. I was one of those kids who bought official card organizing binders. Let's not talk about it.

Anyway, I'm sure you remember that Pokémon Go was huge when it was first launched. The concept of being able to, in a sense, "catch 'em all" was pretty awesome and just the nostalgia factor brought in a large audience that truly transcended age.

Image result for pokemon go
Courtesy of Niantic


I remember distinctly my neighbors and I having some good times, driving around our town and walking around a nearby park to find Pokémon and hatch our eggs. Pokémon Go was sooooo good to us and then—

Do you guys remember when this crazy rush of people ran into busy streets to catch a rare Pokémon or was that some kind of dream I had?

Well, after looking it up, it was most definitely true.

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS.

After a while, with new fads and new games coming out, the hype around Pokémon Go kinda died and I miss it!!

In the time we've been gone, they've added so many new features and new secrets to uncover. Remember when it was discovered that you had to name your Eevee certain words in order to get a specific evolution? There's even more now and we've just been ignoring it!

Image result for eevee evolutions names trick
Via Reddit

Gather a group of friends and just go Pokémon hunting for some good bonding times! Just be like:

Hey alg 2 nerds :)
Haha lol no I didn't finish the homework
But I heard that there's a Nidoking at the park by local Subway, which is actually a PokéStop!!
Oh you want to study for tomorrow's quiz on polynomials okay maybe next time then
WAIT THERE'S A QUIZ TOMORROW

Those are definitely not texts I sent word for word.

If you want to join me in reviving the love for Pokémon Go, I will be hosting a nation-wide Pokémon Go party on February 30, 2020, at 7pm EST. Mark it in your calendars, folks. Be there or be... uh... I don't know what you have to lose besides a GOOOD TIME.

Wattpad


Image result for wattpad new logo
Courtesy of Wattpad

I know it was launched in 2006, but just stick with me!!

One Direction. I think that's all I have to say for this to make sense.

Basically, Wattpad became the holy grail for all Directioners and their fan-fiction needs in the early 2010s. But that's not why I think it should make a comeback.

Since that dark age of "One Direction Adopted Me/Kidnapped Me" fan-fiction and now the cinematic adaptations of certain Wattpad stories like The Kissing Booth and After, Wattpad has been pretty much ridiculed to bits. It's considered to be a source of terribly clichéd romance stories written by 14-year old girls who have never been in a relationship before and consider Harley Quinn and Joker to be the ideal love interests.

Image result for after wattpad
Courtesy of Anna Todd


While yes, there are a lot of stories like that written by such authors, I think it's still a great platform for younger authors to be motivated to write and receive feedback for their work! There are some amazing books and authors on there that don't get the time of day simply because they are on Wattpad and are not published by a formal publishing company.

Image result for wattpad old logo
Courtesy of Wattpad
Only OGs remember this logo...

If any of my dear readers are interested, I think I'll make a separate blog post about the specific books I'd recommend because then this post would just be consumed Wattpad.

This was basically me trying to convince my friends that I should not get attacked for still reading stories on Wattpad HAHAHA

We've seen it all during these past 10 years. Remember when we thought we were gonna die in 2012 because of that Mayan calendar? Ah, such sweet times. I hope this holiday season is a special and safe one and that you make these last few memories of the 2010s the greatest that they can be.

Before I go, say this out loud with me:

2020 is going to be my year.

Repeat it.

No matter how this year went, last year went, the last five years ;) went, the last decade went, you've still got the future ahead of you to improve yourself, your well-being, and your relationships. You are capable of so much. Not to get all sappy though. But you're doing amazing, sweetie!! You got this.

Until next year,

I mean it's not wrong but...

Until next time,

Nickels :)

Comments

  1. I loved this blog! I was totally bombarded with the nostalgia of the silly bandz (I also think it looks just like a director's chair), Pokemon, and Wattpad. Just reading about them resurfaced so many memories that I've forgotten about over the years. The ending was also really sweet! It's something everyone should hear from time to time. I hope 2020 is good to all of us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this kinda made me miss Pokemon Go. I remember loving the living crap out of that game a couple of years ago. Now that I've heard Niantic is adding updates again, I want to see what they threw in while I was gone. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay... about your silly bandz thing. I didn't read the entire section because that weird silly band caugt my eye and I was trying to figure it out and I saw a director's chair. Then when I read the rest of the passage I saw you also said director's chair... so I think we are right

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok WHY am I just seeing this blog now?? brb currently crying
    I literally LOVE this, your personality, the throwbacks (i agree The Silly Band Revolution needs to happen), the little bit of motivation at the end, YES
    I will def be making your blog one of my regulars ^.^
    Also, you're never too young or too old to dance full k-pop choreos at school (literally catch me dancing to Adios and Mic Drop on the patio when its warmer out) (actually I did that in the beginning of the year when it was warmer too, no shame, come join me)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, I completely forgot silly bands and rainbow loom and stuff existed. I always picked up on the fads after they had ended so... I think that silly band looks like the U.S. if you turn it sideways :). Argh, where has our childhood gone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you still use Wattpad. I am not ashamed. At all. And the silly band is definitely a directors chair.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all, the title describes 9 year old me oh my godddddd the memories. This post was like a rollercoaster ride because man this decade was something else. I'm going to go cry as soon as I get home :'))) And yes, that silly band is definitely a director's chair

    ReplyDelete
  8. when you mentioned silly bands, God the memories that flooded backkkk! Thanks for the throwbacks!! I loved everything about this post, Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment