To All The TV Shows I've Loved Before (Well... Still Love)

Since it feels like everyone and their Great Aunt Lucy is currently watching Victorious on Netflix, I got the idea to do a TV show post. Woo, exciting!!

Honestly, I've had a love-hate relationship with TV shows. On one hand, I wanna get in with the times and be able to relate when people make The Office or Friends jokes. On the other hand, I have the attention span and patience of a molding banana so I never have the motivation to start and finish a show. But a few have been able to keep me interested for the long run. Especially Freaks and Geeks, but it hurts my heart too much to talk about it. I won't make you go through the same pain I went through after I found out it was canceled after one season.

When outlining this post, I didn't want it to be just a "here's my favorite TV shows there you go" kinda thing and I wanted to put a twist on it (A twist like my last post where I cast my favorite movie/musical or on my first post I themed it for a "revolution") but I seriously could not come up with anything. Zero. Zilch. El zippo.

And then a sorta dumb  an idea hit me. Punched me in the face, you could say. Ouch.

I know it isn't even a TV show, but writing letters to 5 TV shows I love like Lara Jean wrote letters to her 5 ex-crushes like in To All The Boys I've Loved Before was just something that I NEEDED to do. Don't clown me... But I haven't read the book yet. I have seen the movie and I thought it was quite heartwarming and of course, I gotta rep my culture! #ASIANREPRESENTATIONINMEDIAYESSSS

Image result for to all the boys i've loved before
Courtesy of Netflix

Don't worry, there are no spoilers so you can enjoy each letter with ease. I'm now realizing that it's going to be a little weird to be referring to TV shows as "you". Well, whatever. Anyway.


----Onto the first letter!-----

Dear Nailed It,


Image result for nailed it title screen
Courtesy of Netflix

I don't think I've laughed at any TV show harder than while watching you. You're the superior show in the food and cooking genre. I mean, yeah I loved Cupcake Wars, where these crazy talented bakers made some huge art with their confectioneries, but the same thing except the contestants competing for $10,000 are three bakers that are totally average? It's a recipe for not just disaster, but a whole ton of memes.

Like this one guy who wasted time eating and didn't have presentable (or edible) cupcakes so he USED AN APPLE INSTEAD. So the judges, host Nicole Byer, co-host Jacques Torres, and a guest judge, were forced to eat an apple with buttercream on it. Or the guy who ran out of time while making a unicorn cake so rather than making its horn out of fondant, he covered a carrot with fondant. You cannot make this stuff up.

Courtesy of Netflix

I love the fact that there are two rounds, the first one for a treat that is of a smaller scale, then a second round with a task that appears pretty much insurmountable to regular, plebs like us. Whenever a cooking competition has multiple rounds with eliminations in between, I get kinda sad because I want all these people to win since they're so talented (with the exception of that one pompous jerk contestant that comes once in a while). Thankfully, Nailed It doesn't have eliminations between rounds one and two, so I don't have to worry about feeling upset that the person I was rooting for lost. After the first round, they do reward the winner with The Golden Baker's Hat and some sort of baking utensil prize while the person who struggled the most gets rewarded an extra help kind of thing. Usually, it's a button that allows the struggling-baker to work while their two opponents are frozen or host Nicole Byer screams and annoys their opponents for three minutes straight. Nicole is absolutely hilarious as the host and even the contestants can't help but laugh when she roasts them. She's a whole mood.

Nicole Byer and Jacques Torres.
Courtesy of Netflix
L to R: Nicole Byer, Jacques Torres

Before I close out, I just want to thank you for bringing Jacques Torres, Mr. Chocolate himself, into my life. This French man brings me such joy when he's on the screen. If I ever get the chance to meet him I think I'd cry because he's just so warm and eager to help all of the contestants. He's definitely up there with Bob Ross and my mom on my list of favorite people ever.

Where To Watch (TV-PG):
Netflix

Until the next episode, Nickels.

----And onto the next letter!-----

Dear Skins (UK version, not US),

Image result for skins uk season 1
Courtesy of All3Media
L to R: Mike Bailey, Joe Dempsie, Hannah Murray, Larissa Wilson, Dev Patel, Mitch Hewer, Nicholas Hoult, April Pearson

You make my blood boil, to be honest. Teen dramas usually do, but this one especially. You were introduced to me on Tumblr and I totally didn't start watching because I saw Nicholas Hoult and Dev Patel so I guess I should have known how edgy this show was gonna be.

The characters are quite diverse, which also drew me in. The friend group this show follows includes their "leader" Tony, his best friend Sid, his girlfriend Michelle, Jal, Chris, Cassie, Maxxie, and Anwar (also Tony's little sister Effy, but she's more of a recurring character in season one, major in the following generation). Tony, your anti-hero, really ground my gears with his manipulative and controlling ways, which is probably why this show feels so real to me. There really are guys who are like this to their friends and gosh, is it FRUSTRATING to watch as a viewer. I'm all like, "SID DON'T LISTEN TO TONY" and Sid's like "haha ok tony!!!" I said no spoilers though, so I won't mention what happens to Tony later, but I promise he gets better in the later season.

We've got a friendship between Anwar, who's struggling between being faithful to his Islamic beliefs while also being a rowdy party-er that drinks and does drugs, and Maxxie, openly gay teen. There has rarely ever been a relationship like theirs depicted in media even though it's so important that teens see a representation of themselves on the big screen, so I applaud you, Skins, for doing that. While juggling the aforementioned topics, we also deal with problems with family, teen pregnancies and abortions, and anorexia in ways that don't feel sugar-coated or overshadowed by a romance sub-plot.

I get the worst second-hand embarrassment and body-numbing disgust when TV shows use dramatic irony, so when these characters make absolutely terrible decisions I pause the episode so quick, curl into a ball, and have to recollect myself. This happens so often with you because you're about a bunch of rebellious teens in England. I'm not mad, it just makes my heart hurt a little bit.

Image
Courtesy of @ReactionsMemes via Twitter
Me when I'm cringing basically

I must admit, I can't really talk about the characters that appear after season 2 because I stopped watching you when the original cast of characters left... Oops. But I have to say, I did enjoy those two seasons so if anyone wanted to start watching you, tell me how the other seasons go and maybe I'll pick it up again.

Where to Watch (TV-MA):
Netflix
Amazon Prime
YouTube
Apple/iTunes

Until the next episode, Nickels.

----And onto the next letter!-----

Dear Real Bros of Simi Valley,

Image result for real bros of simi valley
Courtesy of Cinemand
L to R: Tanner Getter, Cody Ko, Jimmy Tatro, Nick Colletti

I'm pretty sure you're a web-series, but according to IMDb you're a TV series, so I'll go along with it. I LOVE you. Like, way too much. At first, I was a bit confused because I didn't know what the stereotype was for people living in Simi Valley, California, but I caught on pretty quick with how exaggerated the characters were. You're parodying shows like Real Housewives of Atlanta or Real Housewives of Beverly Hills and even though I haven't watched those shows either, I can tell from the memes that the women they feature are just as exaggerated as our skater/surfer bros in the Real Bros of Simi Valley.

YouTubers and former Viners are featured in the cast, with people like Jimmy Tatro (your director, writer, and actor. YouTuber too.), Cody Ko (one of my FAVORITE YouTubers), and Nick Colletti (That one guy on Vine asking "What the f*** is up, Kyle?" Yup).

I love the dedication that is put into you, like each character has an active Instagram account so it feels like they are real people. And your merch shop is designed like the surf shop in season 2! You're so ridiculous but I love you anyway. The interviews of each character put in between the action of the show, like all reality television, is completely chaotic and idiotic but that's what makes it so so so good.

Xander's (played by Jimmy Tatro) Instagram

Everything is supposed to feel so dramatic but it's just too funny, you know? Like when ex-skater (he got into a "horrible" skating accident, but no spoilers!) Bryce was legitimately about to beat up Xander's son Hawk, who was a whole baby, because he was getting bad vibes from him and he was annoyed at all the attention Hawk was getting. I think you can tell how mindless this show is not by just the plot and this scene, but their names. Hawk? Duuuuude.

Image result for hawk and bryce simi valley
Courtesy of Cinemand
L to R: Tanner Getter, Emmett Phillips

The memes that come from you are absolutely top-notch. I use this one on a regular basis because it speaks volumes. Pure artistry.

Image result for bro I am not having a good time right now
Courtesy of Cinemand
Pic: Peter Gilroy

I cannot wait for weekly episodes to start up again. I'm so happy that you guys announced a season 3 for this winter because I AM SO READY.

Where to Watch (No official rating, but I'd say TV-14):
Facebook Watch
YouTube (not all the episodes are on there)

Until the next episode, Nickels.

----And onto the next letter!-----

Dear Pangako Sa'yo (The 2015 Remake),

Image result for pangako sayo
Courtesy of ABS-CBN
L to R: Kathryn Bernardo, Daniel Padilla

You made me cry so hard in each episode. Ever since the premiere of the first version of Pangako Sa'yo in 2002, the Philippines has had only one kind of TV genre. Teleserye, otherwise known as a soap opera. Filipinos loooove drama. They're really good at making it too, not going to lie.

Since the first Pangako Sa'yo was a huge hit in the Philippines, it was revived into you, the 2015 version. I am saddened to say that I haven't seen the original. But I knew that when you announced that you would feature my favorite love team (in the Philippines usually the same two people are cast together as love interests for multiple movies), I was going to watch every single day. Every day, a new episode at 6:00 PM EST.

Image result for pangako sayo
Courtesy of ABS-CBN
L to R: Kristine Hermosa, Jericho Rosales

Pangako Sa'yo translates into "promise to you" so it's pretty obvious that you're a romance drama. You're as corny as corny can be (Well, duh. It's a soap opera!): Young girl living in the poorer, more provincial area falls in love with a rich businessman, but they are torn apart by this other woman. Then the young girl finds out she's pregnant with his daughter and she happily raises her until her town experiences a tragedy and they're separated. While the young girl is desperately trying to find her daughter, her daughter is adopted by an elderly couple who gives her a new name and a rich businessman and his evil wife have a son. Everything unfolds from there.

My favorite love team, Kathryn Bernardo and Daniel Padilla, are the leads, playing the young woman's daughter Maria Amor/Yna and the rich businessman's son Angelo respectively.

Image result for pangako sayo
Courtesy of ABS-CBN
L to R: Kathryn Bernardo, Daniel Padilla

"WAIT DOESN'T THAT MEAN THAT THEY ARE—" I am here to say NO. You've got some convoluted plotline that debunks the whole "half-sibling" thing, but I won't reveal it. #spoilerfreeuhhhsorta

Though I've been roasting you this whole time, I do truly love you. You're my favorite Filipino teleserye ever. I rushed to do my homework every night so I could watch the episode live and just snuggled with my pillow as I was captivated by the drama of it all. Not to mention, Jodi Sta. Maria who plays the "young girl who fell in love with the businessman" is such an amazing actress. AND KATHNIEL TOO OH MY GOSH


Image result for pangako sayo jodi and ian veneracion
Courtesy of ABS-CBN
L to R: Ian Veneracion, Jodi Sta. Maria

I still sing your theme song every day with my fellow Filipino friends because you're that iconic.

Where to Watch (US TV-14):
TFC
ABS-CBN

Until next episode, Nickels.

----And onto the next letter!-----

Dear Haikyu!!,

Image result for haikyu
Courtesy of Sentai Filmworks

I am long past my anime days. I left that back in 6th grade, never to be seen again. That was until Netflix decided that adding you onto its site along with Victorious was a good idea and I was reminded about how much I loved you back in 5th-6th grade. 

Anime tends to get a bad rep because of certain subgenres and its sexualization of girls, but you couldn't be more different. No "waifus" here, folks. Just some nice 'ol volleyball boys.

I remember being obsessed with volleyball (I used to play and honestly I miss playing a lot) and so finding out that you existed, a volleyball anime, I was ecstatic. Not to mention, you use one of my favorite character tropes where one character is extremely happy and bubbly and their best friend is stoic and cold. The best friend is Kageyama Tobio, my favorite character. Remember how I said I was so obsessed with you back then? Yeah, I even went as Kageyama for Halloween in 6th grade. I wore the costume to school but just told everyone, "Yeah, for Halloween I decided to be a volleyball player. Not anyone in particular though." And they just kind of looked at me like "Uh... Okay."

Image result for hinata and kageyama
Courtesy of Sentai Filmworks

You're a show about brotherhood, how a team must admit their strengths and weaknesses together in order to rise to the top. Protagonist Hinata Shouyou is shorter than average for volleyball players and is quite inexperienced, but he's determined and has such a powerful jump. That's why he and Kageyama, the volleyball prodigy who said he'd rather serve, set, and spike all on his own, work so well. They balance each other out, even if they start off hating each other.

With all the hardships the team Karasuno endured, I watched them grow and cheered them on with every episode. I cried when they would lose because I was super emotionally attached to them. Don't even get me started on when the senior members started talking about graduation and that they would have to leave the team. I think at one point I called them all my sons. HAHAHAHA anyway!

Image result for karasuno
Courtesy of Sentai Filmworks

You have so many characters because of all of the teams Karasuno plays against, but you've managed to make me love every single one of them. Even the biggest enemies, like Kageyama's rival Oikawa from Aoba Johsai, were my absolute favorites.

You're truly just a wholesome show with some great tender moments and comedic characters, what's not to love?

Where to Watch (US TV-14):

Until the next episode, Nickels.

And there they are, To All The TV Shows I've Loved Before. I hope it wasn't too confusing to read! Since I'm not a frequent TV watcher, these are honestly the only shows I've seen and have been able to sit through so hopefully, you found one interesting in this weirdly formatted recommendation list and are considering checking it out!

Until the next episode—

That's not correct. I got too used to the letter format, oops. Well...

Until next time,

Nickels :)

Comments

  1. i really liked that you took a different approach on this blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this format! I think it works really well, and it could even become a sort of series. I can feel your personal connection to all of these shows, and it was really nice reading about what you loved in each and every single one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your writing so much!, you make jokes and put a sarcastic tone and I absolutely love it!, I have never seen these shows, but I will definitely check them out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment